Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cloth to Cloth






I am so excited about this online class I'm taking. It will unfold as we go, but I am approaching this as a chance to focus on an aspect of myself I haven't been in touch with in a while. I have always, it seems, embroidered and made quilts. I dabbled at one point in crazy quilting, which combines both. But this is different. It adds story-telling to the mix. And weaving. And while I am not approaching this as focused as some of my classmates, I know it will change the way I produce my art. At least for now. My challenge will be to take the parts of this that are me, and not copy Jude's work, or the work of my classmates. So much energy in this group- so many talented people.

Here are some photos from my dying session yesterday. I used indigo dye for the first time. Who knew that an indigo dye bath had a 'flower' ( the foam on top of the liquid), that it needs to proof like yeast, and that it is a WONDERFUL acid green color. It's the oxygen in the air that turns it blue. And watching it oxidise was a coool experience.



This is about 2 yards of muslin that I folded and bunched.





This is my attempt at 'shibori'. I wrapped the fabric around a pool-noodle (didn't have a pipe) and secured it with rubberbands, then scrunched it down. I LOVE the water-ripple effect.




Pretty fabrics drying in the sun
I hope to be able to start weaving these and other fabrics together and start embroidering/quilting them together today. Housework? dinner? Pizza and a quick vacuum ought to take care of it!

8 comments:

Yvonne said...

I love your shibori! I have indigo waiting to try out, too, but I didn't get around to it before Jude's class and now I've started using other fabrics...

Mo'a said...

Wonderful effects you got in your shibori...I am impressed with people that dye their own fabric.
Jude's class is truly amazing...and it is such a pleasure to meet so many talented people.

Mary said...

Thanks, Mo'a and Yvonne- I was really impressed with the shibori myself- I didn't really know what I was doing- another 'what if' moment

Deb G said...

Oh that is wonderful! I'm going to try indigo soon. I have a little bit of fabric that I'm trying shibori with in some dye bath I made with linchen. Need to go check it now!

Mary said...

Deb- Dye bath with lichen? THAT sounds intriguing! I noticed you had also mentioned onion skins... I want to do this stuff all day every day! Purple onions or yellow?

Notjustnat said...

Thanks Mary for leaving lovely comment on my piece at cloth to cloth. I thought I would come and visit and see what you are doing. I love your shibori and the indigo dye. You will have fun stitching with it.
Hugs Natima

Jean Skipper said...

These are beautiful, Mary! I'm so glad to have found your blog, and I do hope that we'll have an opportunity to meet in person in Raleigh or Southern Pines! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi, i just want to say hello to the community