Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Back to School

My Grandson, my Sweet Boy, Noah- starts kindergarten today. He's ready- a little nervous, but ready. He'll have the same teacher Zoe had, and that's a wonderful thing. Can't help but think about when his Mom started kindergarten, or his uncles. Three days that will live in my memories forever- Megan was excited, hardly looked back- Luke and Sean were a little more hesitant...

I love the New Beginning part of school starting. Even though I'm not taking classes (although I really want to take a drawing class) it's still a great time to take stock- look at goals and see how you're doing. For example- I wanted to be able to mount a show this year. THAT'S not gonna happen. But I did send a piece out into the Big World of Criticism- that's a start. And I've figured out what I need to do to put a show together---(hint- a lot more new work!) I guess it's time to stop painting bedrooms and making curtains and get to work making artquilts!!

My newest piece is about how we can send positive energy out into the world to make a change- a favorite topic of mine. I read a quote, and I'll paraphrase here- it compared sending negative actions into the world with blowing on a mature dandelion... I don't like focusing on the negatives- so my quilt will be about sending the seeds for change into the world and how each seed has a ripple effect- changing in small ways the way people look at their world. I've always held the concept of- "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem" close to my heart- this season's quilts will be about those changes we each must make to change our world for the better. Sound really good on paper, now for the TIME to make the quilts! I wish I could work at night- I'm so jealous of people who get along on a few hours sleep...

No comments: