Saturday, September 1, 2007

Awesome Ideas



I finally took the plunge and got this blog-thing going. I had been struggling with names, and this morning, after a night on the couch (more about that later) it came to me. So Threading the Needle is born. I like the idea of showing action in the title- I'm a pretty busy person who likes to start and sometimes finish new projects. So the act of threading the needle indicates to me that a new project is being born!

I have had a productive summer:


I entered my first "competition" by sending a quilt to Quilt Art for a challenge. I don't think it'll be published, that was in June and now it's Sept... haven't heard anything. BUT the big step for me was in sending something in- putting it out there. I'm proud of that and proud of the piece, even if they don't publish it. So this is "Morning Has Broken" :
hand-dyed fabric, fusible applique, beading, found objects with organza overlay, this is about the way your mind expands with a new idea













I finished my clapotis (my family thinks this sounds dirty) far from perfect in the execution, but it's done and I'm happy with it.

I used Lang yarns Mille Colori- not the best choice- the yarn was too fuzzy to drop the stitches properly. This is from Knitty.com-http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTclapotis.html






I made a second little one that is much more technically correct but I put it away for a Christmas present (and it MIGHT be yours!)so I don't have a photo. Thanks for all the help I got from lurking on Yahoo's clapotis group- the charts were such a help (the second time around!)



I had a great idea for wedding gifts. A picnic quilt! These are picnic sized quilts that give me a chance to try new techniques and color combos without being too worried about them being Heirloom quality ( I gave up on heirloom quality about 20 years ago- now I fuss if I want to and I use "creative expression" the rest of the time- it's more fun that way)












One of my goals for 2007 was to learn to make socks. Here is my first sock! I DID cast on the second sock immediately, and I swear I'll finish it!

I used yarn from my stash- I think the instep part is too big, but it looks fine on my foot, and it's my FIRST SOCK!! (I'm ridiculously proud of this thing.






2 comments:

Martha said...

HEY! Very Cool!!!

Martha

JennE said...

Hey Mary!
Thank you for sharing. I love how your personality comes shining through. I want to send this on to a very dear friend of mine who could use a little pick me up!